Wednesday, July 1, 2009

MT.DUMPMORE (beta)

Don't get carried away on seeing the heading i am talking about the theme park that is opposite to the CHENNAI ONE building located in the Thoraipakkam SEZ, still no idea let me give you a clue the theme of the park is GARBAGE,JUNK and WASTE. Yes I am talking about the dump yard, it is the place that holds half of Chennai’s trash. What started as a good idea to do landfill to convert the degradable waste into natural manure by degradation has now become a “Make a stink hill” project.



I work in Chennai One so I have no other way than to come to this location and enjoy the smell, not only is the dump yard a cause for concern but the whole road that leads to my office is full of trash. I for one is very surprised to see such contrasting contours within just 100 meters, oh and by the way let me not forget the beautiful lagoon that we have just beside our office you can call it “the swamp”, it is a mixture of ground water, rain water, sewage water etc…
Why I am bringing this point to your notice is it is not like we Indians are not able to keep our place clean, no. My office to the best of my knowledge is kept quite clean and neat. But if you see the street leading to my place you would not believe your eyes. To just give you an idea of what I am talking about just look at the photo below.


This Mt.Dumpmore is the creation of the careless waste management, now I am now trying to point my fingers at the government, the corporation, what I am saying is we are all at fault and we need to start the recovery process.

It’s like this we all agree River Kuvam is a blot on the face of SINGARA CHENNAI but no one actually tries to do anything about it as it has now become too big a beast to control or curtail. Now I am not all talk, I have started to understand the impact of my carelessness and started mending my ways, simple steps can be taken to reduce your waste footprint like, taking your own bag to supermarkets, vegetable markets and if possible even while shopping for cloths and other stuff. We all are now the mass supporters of PACKAGED MILK but none of us bother to dispose those plastic packs safely, the best thing to do is collect these packets and once in a month or so give it to the appropriate persons who can dispose them safely.

These are just baby steps, but even the biggest of fires have to start with a small spark right, so I think feel that we all must take an oath at least the educated lot that we will not pollute our environment any more, how you do it or how much your effort contributes towards greening the city actually doesn’t matter. I strongly feel that keeping your country clean is as important a duty as voting to chose your leader. Stricter laws must be imposed to make sure that we don’t follow this downward spiral.

No comments:

Post a Comment